Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sewing for Summer

Jo-Ann’s was having a sale on patterns for 99 cents (and I love a sale) so I picked a few up to make Kate a couple of Summer dresses. The pattern for this dress was a Simplicity 5695 and was very simple. I tweaked a few details of the pattern—I added lining and used my fancy ruffle attachment instead of doing gathering stitches for the bottom. My seamstress mother-in-law bought me the ruffle attachment for my sewing machine as a Christmas gift and I love it! It took a little getting used to and looks very intimidating, but it’s actually very simple and saves a lot of time. I’m really happy with how the dress turned out although Kate does have to grow into it a bit! I made a size 1 but the sizing measurements on the pattern must be a little off. I’m not sure if this is the case for all simplicity patterns or not, but I’ll try sizing down next time.

I finally got Kate to smile today! She’s getting better, or maybe she’s just happy to be holding the Tylenol bottle. Tylenol has been her friend these past few days!

3 comments:

Trisha said...

So cute even if it is too big now. You are too fancy with your ruffle attachment. I bought a couple of patterns during that sale too although one is a dress for me...I'm half way done but I don't think that the finished product will be good enough to actually wear. I wish I would have bought more patterns since they were 99 cents!

leslie said...

Look how happy she looks and how lucky she is to have a mom that sews for her! It's addictive isn't is?

Jill said...

What a happy picture!! Wish I had the time to sew. Enjoy it while it lasts!